Being a space member has benefits but of course also some responsibilities.
– With great power comes great responsibility.
- 24/7 access
- Every member always has access to the space.
- Member shelf
- Every member can get a member shelf AKA a drawer, to store personal stuff.
- Discount if/on paying activities
- There are no passengers on this ship, only crew members.
- We are explorers, no pirates.
- Upon leaving the ship, clean your spot, and the spot next to you.
- Drinks are in the fridge, they are cool, cheap and help us stay afloat.
- Respect fellow members, their privacy and hardware.
- Communication generally works better than conflict.
- The guy/girl mopping the deck deserves more respect than the non-existing captain.
- Sharing is good, share your knowledge, creativity, hardware and code.
- Respect is not enforced, it is earned.
- Parrots have no original thoughts. Think, don't be a parrot.
- Truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Most issues aren't binary anyway. Requantize.
- Last but foremost: Be excellent to eachother.
– From https://wiki.hsbxl.be/Patterns
Steps on becoming a member
- Come over on a TechTuesday, come say hi.
- Fill out the membership form.
- Find 2 sponsors to sign your membership form.
- Once processed, you will receive a welcome mail with paying instructions.
- Once we receive your payment, you can pickup an access key/badge on a next TechTuesday.
Yes. As much as we would like otherwise,
we need to pay bills to keep the ship afloat.
That's why we ask a membership fee of minimum €15 a month.
In reality we need about €25 a month to break even, that's your choice.
To check for yourself, you can see the bookkeeping since 2009 on our public books page.
What are our fixed costs?
- Rent: €662/month
- Heating: +- €100/month
- Insurance: ?/year
- Legal costs (ex. statute changes): +- €100/year
Further we have nice tools and spend money at keeping it that way.