We run an IRC channel (see Chat) and we sometimes miss meetings in there (esp. when the TechTuesdays are crowded). To solve this problem I propose project silent guy:
- Set up a small dedicated machine in HSB w/ monitor that displays the IRC channel in the Sofa-Area (m/b give it a cool case or something?
- hook a bot/script whatever in the channel that uses a text to speech engine and announces when somebody enters the channel or when a conversation starts
Because we can and it is fun!
- find good IRC bot or create own thing (latter sounds like moar fun!)
- set up machine (linux box) with monitor and put in couch area (needs speakers)
- install stuff
- It works with a patched version of phenny. I send the patch upstream and it is also included in the git repo.
- It runs on the eeepc from the BruCON HEX factor.
If you want the code, just do a
git clone git://github.com/fs111/TheSilentGuy.git
Giving TheSilentGuy a nice body
A robot need a real body, here are a few ideas
- Life-sized Bender
- One of the apple se30's ?
- something else ?